Curb Stop Water Shut Off Valves

We are working to fix the leaks in our water system and need your help. If you know or can guess to the approximate location of your Curb Stop Valve, please stop by the City Office, the City Shop, the Mini Mart, or the Liquor Store to get a marking flag. Then, place the flag in your yard where you believe your Curb Stop is or is approximately located. Glen will be coming around to verify and map out each location for future reference.

Thank you for your help!

If you have any questions, please call or text Glen at 507-706-1240 or you may email him at:



Water Rate Increase

Effective 6/1/17, the Water Rate for the City of Russell will be increasing by $0.10/1,000 gallons used. This is due to the $0.10/1,000 gallons increase that Lincoln Pipestone Rural Water is putting into place for all their customers as well. This will be payable on July’s bill. If you have any questions regarding this increase, please contact the city office at: 507-823-4366.

2017 Consumer Confidence Report

All community water systems must distribute a drinking water report known as a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) annually to their customers prior to July 1, 2017. The CCR will not be mailed out or published but is available upon request. Please contact the City Clerk at 507-823-4366 to obtain a copy.

Sump Pump Discharge

The City of Russell would like to remind everyone that your sump pumps cannot be discharged into the city sewer. Please check to make sure this is being followed and move them if needed. If you have any questions, please contact a city council member or the city office at 507-823-4366.

City of Russell Citizen Complaint Policy


When a citizen has a complaint about anything related to activities and responsibilities of the City, they shall file a signed complaint in writing.  This form will be provided by the City and may be requested at City Hall. The form can be dropped off, sent by US Mail, or by e-mail.  The complainants name is not considered public data and will not be publicly noted.


 The City Clerk/Treasurer will forward a completed form to the proper department or to the City Council for determination of what, if any, action shall be taken.

  1. Telephone complaints will not be accepted.
  2. Anonymous complaints will not be considered valid and action will not be taken.
  3. Once action has been taken, the Council may decline to address the same complaint more than once during a three month period of time.
  4. Any complaints regarding the conduct or job performance of the City Clerk shall be given to the Mayor or any councilmember. No complaints against City employees by members of the public shall be addressed at an open meeting unless the employee requests it. If Council determines discipline is appropriate, any future meetings regarding the discipline must be open.
  5. Upon the completion of any said action, the complainant will be notified of action taken.

The identity of a person making a complaint about a violation of law or ordinance concerning the use of real property is confidential data.  This classification is used to shield the identity of an individual who complains to a government agency from anyone who might seek retribution against the complainant.